Saturday, March 19, 2016

Script draft! Part 1

I've begun writing the script for the introduction, but I found that as I was writing it that I didn't know by heart which particular problems plagued the people I interviewed. So, I went back and listened to them all and took notes on the specific points they brought up. Here's a picture of my notes that I jotted, with check marks next to the points I ended up hitting during my script:

I knew, before I had any concrete ideas, that the gist of the dialogue would be metaphorical, and those metaphors would in turn stand for the commentary/message of the piece. This sounds confusing ... But it's not! I hope.

For example: the first idea I came up with was scuba diving. I'm not entirely sure where the idea came from, only that it popped into my head when I was trying to figure out where to start. In this case, scuba diving is a metaphor for the pointless skills that we learn in school (i.e. the mitochondria being the powerhouse of the cell, or the quadratic formula).

When I first formulated the idea for a satirical script, I was drawing my inspiration from the book Catch-22. In Catch-22, the dialogue is explicitly satirical - or "not serious" - by the way it's written. It's written in circles, making it seem as though you (the viewer) never get to the point, and adds to absurdity of the situation (one of the primary elements of satire). To exemplify how this style of dialogue both contributes to satirical meaning and adds comedy, my AP Lang teacher showed us a stand up comedy video that utilizes the same style of dialogue:

[VIDEO]

However, while writing my script, I decided that I didn't like this style of dialogue at all. I'm not quite sure whether or not it didn't fit with my story, or if I'm just not skilled at writing that kind of dialogue, but I did not like how it came out at all. Before I even finished my first draft, I scrap it, rewrite and start over.

1 comment:

  1. I am very intrigued by your idea of a satire. I think if pulled off and written well this will be very good. Since writing is one of your strong points and an enormous part of your film you need to make sure that you get many different viewpoints from people to make sure it just the way you want it and people understand the satire. I hope that you can find another actress soon, maybe you could ask someone in AMT if they would be open to helping you.
    For your blog you need to go into a lot more depth with your blog posts. The blog is a huge part of your final and you WILL get a lower grade for having short, non-detailed blog posts. Your first two posts started really long and filled with information, but after that they went downhill. You say that you're a writer, but you barely write anything on your posts. Also you should try to add some pictures to the posts to add color to your blog because its lackluster. You should try to diversify your posts and add visual interests to your blog background. Good luck with your filming.

    ReplyDelete