Sunday, April 10, 2016

Editing!

The first problem I immediately realized while editing? I hate iMovie. Quite a lot. I'm used to working with Final Cut from my previous short film project, and the downgrade from Final Cut iMovie was slightly degrading.

Another obstacle I quickly came to become aware of was kiind of a major one at first: I lost an entire take of my film. During filming, I ran out of memory on my SD card. To compensate for this meory loss, I had to go into our takes and delete one I didn't think was important/had any solid footage. Unfortunatelly for me ... I didn't choose the right one. It was one of the birds eye high angle shots that I thought, when I deleted it, was just practicing/getting used to the high angle and didn't actually include any takes. However, it was the only take of some of the lines I had - the ones that began the shift from scuba diving to driving lessons (beginnign when Cassie's character asks for a ride to the scuba diving lessons).

Although this loss of footage at first plaugyed me (I first discovered it right before I had to work an eight hour shift at my job and I mourned over it the whole time), I soon came to realize that my footage was too long. I was forced to cut down the film, and that included the driving portion of the script. I had to make executive decisions on what was most and least important, and whenever I had people read my script and give feedback they always liked the beginning and end best. So, those are the two areas I attempted to keep both intact (scuba diving and factory metaphors).

One of the major interesting editing decisions I made was for the sequence towards the end of the introduction surrounding the factory metaphor. I filmed that dialogue sequence the whole way through from both characters' perspectives, so in editing I decided to bounce the shots back and forth between the two characters. This is to establush the flow and tone of the film, that of which is quick, strange, confounding humor that you need to be quick to catch. Otherwise, you'll get caught up in the flow and miss the point.

In additon to the two shot editing technique, the score in the background also helps set the tone. It's quick, fast-paced, minimalistic, quirky, sort of strange, and sort of almost ominous/eerie. All of these tones underscore the essence of the film, capturing the flow of the comedy as well as the more serious undertones/messages/themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment