Saturday, April 2, 2016

Planning Shots, Part 2

PRE FILMING:
After I planned out the shots for the walk to the elevator, I then had to plan out the shots for inside the elevator. This was infinitely more difficult, because I have a lot less room to work with inside an elevator than outside in a hallway. One shot I knew I wanted to utilize was an overhead shot that would look down on the characters like a birds eye view. To give these shots a purpose, I decided to interject one every time there was a shift in commentary. For example, there's a birds eye shot that separates the dialogue exchange about scuba diving and driving ("Cool, guess I'm screwed then." "[...] Do you think you could give me a ride to the lessons?") and the dialogue between driving and getting a job ("Bro, shut up with your food analogies ..." "[...] But can you drive me?") The elevator mainly utilizes close-ups/medium shots in ways that best show the exchange of dialogue between the characters. I planned to do this in two ways: for shorter exchanges of dialogue, I would use a pan to shift back and forth between the characters; and for longer exchanges of dialogue that would require more editing, I planned to get a medium/close up shot of each character acting out the same lines of dialogue and mesh them together in editing to make a two-shot editing technique. Finally, for the end of the film, I planned on a POV type shot of one of the characters pressing the door open button to illustrate that the door won't open - and that the characters are stuck in the elevator, establishing the conflict of the film. I also plan on recording the sound of the alarm bell in the elevator that I want to sound at the end of the introduction when the title of the film appears. In addition, I want to get a sound bite or two of the characters muttering something in exasperation once they realize they're stuck in the elevator - I'm not sure what yet, I plan on asking the actors to improvise, but I scribbled down some ideas while I was planning the shots.

SHOT LIST, POST FILMING:
(The shots are scribbled out because I scratched out each shot after shooting it in order to keep track of where we were at during production.)



No comments:

Post a Comment