Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Editing: pending

(I will be continuously updating this blog posting as I continue to edit my footage).

3/22/17
Today I began the editing process of my documentary. The first thing I did was import the files I knew I wanted to edit from my phone to my laptop. Luckily, I already knew that email highly decreases the quality of video immensely. To get around this, I Airdropped all of the videos to my laptop, and was happy to see that the quality stayed intact.

The sequence I decided to edit the footage in has a very defined lineage. Firstly, I edited the intro of myself speaking to the camera, in which I explain the photoshoot and reveal myself as the documentarian to the viewers. I then decided to film all of the stock footage I got of everyone setting up, messing around, getting dressed and getting their makeup done. From here (where I left off), I’ll edit the footage of my interviewees getting their pictures taken, followed by the interviews themselves.

There are two reasons for me editing in this order. Firstly, it’s much more organized. If I upload my introduction separately; follow by stock footage; followed by pictures; followed by interviews, there is no danger of my footage getting all mixed up, out of order and confusing. This tends to happen to me particularly, and it’s exacerbated by iMovie’s limiting timeline options and oversimplified interface functions. Secondly, it allows me to create some sense of structure that I want to concoct. I’m not quite sure of the order I want to place all of the footage I attained, so getting a sense of everything that I have to work with in their correct categories will be helpful in putting together an outline of the narrative I was to build.

No comments:

Post a Comment