Monday, March 6, 2017

Formulating a structure

Upon doing my due diligent research, I formulated a tentative outline/structure that I want the entirety of my documentary to follow. Of course, the excerpt that I inevitably produce will be only a small fraction of the entire story that the big picture is willing to tell, but understanding the arch of the narrative I’m trying to sell will help me pinpoint what excerpt I want to do exactly, as well as help me concoct a core marketing strategy for the other elements of the project.

The basic structure of the piece will be:
  • Firstly, outlining the clothing industry in generalities, in addition to zeroing in on the ways in which the industry as an entirety perpetuates gender stereotypes/conventions; including their own marketing/advertising, in-store layouts, behind-the-scenes designers, etc.
  • Secondly, the psychological element, or, essentially, my argument of the piece (in other words, my creator bias); why does the clothing industry do this, why are gender stereotypes/conventions harmful, how are they harmful, why is this topic important, why does it matter, etc.; the process of probing, questioning, answering, and persuading.
  • Lastly, the pushback to this structure and ideology of society, how the movement is growing, examples and interviews with people who identify as gender non-conforming, etc.; the proof of a trend, that if viewers decide to join in on the trend, they’re not alone and there’s a movement waiting for them with open arms.

More than likely, the portion that I will choose to operate under when producing the excerpt will be the last section, for a few different reasons. In essence, it’s the most accessible to me - it’s certainly plausible to find stores that will allow me to film in them and psychology experts that can speak on the issues raised in my piece. However, I’m not sure how successful I’ll be with finding high-up clothing industry workers that will be helpful and relevant to interview; and I’m not sure that the psychology portion would be particularly stimulating.

No comments:

Post a Comment