Monday, March 20, 2017

Filming!

On Saturday over the weekend, I got together with my club (Gender-Sexuality Alliance) and filmed the photoshoot that went on! A brief summary of what went on/the executive decisions I made while filming:

  • When I arrived and myself/the other officers were setting up, I immediately took out my phone and started recording. I got a lot of good stock footage of the set up/the hard work that everyone put into it and the very blatant passion/happiness that they exuberated while putting it together.
  • While filming footage of everyone changing/getting their makeup done/hanging around, I realized that because there was music playing, it was going to ruin the footage’s sense of continuity within editing. I immediately had to be the cranky grandfather that turned the music off whenever I was filming - luckily, no one seemed to mind too much.
  • I got (what looked to be) great footage of the individuals getting their makeup done. I also held impromptu interviews with the makeup artists/subjects while it was being done that I think will make a great addition to put into it.
  • I went for a very casual, handheld look with lots of movement in order to create intimacy between the trifecta of myself, the subjects and the situation itself.
  • I periodically pulled aside the subjects that I wanted to interview aside to ask them questions; I slightly regret not using a tripod to film the interviews, mainly because my arms got very tired and I feel as though I could have been a better interviewer if I wasn’t so focused on holding steady and channeling mental effort into keeping my arms up. The footage itself didn’t come out too poor or shaky, so I’m not too worried about that.
  • I made an executive decision in the moment to film myself talking to the camera in order to place a face to the name, set context, and establish myself as the figure and documentarian physically stepping into the world that I’m shedding light upon. I had my friend Chris, who is also in AICE Media Studies A level, film it because I know that he has some sense of how to film professionally/properly.
  • Finally, I of course got footage of the photographer taking pictures of all of the subjects – particularly (or maybe even limited to) the interviewees I questioned.


I’m excited and fond of the footage I got and excited to edit it and put it all together!

No comments:

Post a Comment